4 things you should know about air conditioning service
Your house is your place of rest, that is why it is important to keep it in the best conditions, clean and ready for your comfort and well-being. That is why the service and maintenance of the air conditioning are so important. Keep in mind that the air that comes out of the unit is distributed throughout the atmosphere, and you are constantly breathing it. I imagine you’ll most likely want to ensure that the air is as healthy as possible and that is why servicing your air conditioning periodically is a must.
At the beginning of summer and the heat, houses and businesses reactivate their air conditioning systems and everyone rushes to get their Air Conditioners serviced at the same time. To avoid the trouble of trying to get quality service during the busiest time of year, the best time to make the necessary adjustments and replace obsolete equipment with more efficient ones is anytime outside of summer.
The fact is that few people are aware of what goes into a professional air conditioner servicing. It’s not enough to dust it once a year. If you truly want to get the most out of your air conditioner, here is a list of 4 things you should know about air conditioner maintenance and servicing.
#1. The main reasons why servicing your air conditioner is so important
– Improve the efficiency of the unit: If your unit is obstructed by dust or other possible particles from the environment, the motor is forced to work more. Your AC has to work harder to get air through it. This causes more electricity to be consumed.
– Reduce energy bills: As you can see from the previous point, if the equipment is properly cleaned and serviced, your air conditioner will run more efficiently. As a result, the amount of power consumed will substantially decrease and so the amount you pay for your electricity bill. You will pay less if you use less power.
– Reduce the risk of health issues: There are many polluting particles in the air, plus possible mould that can be stored in the cooling system of your unit. Therefore, if you do not carry out adequate regular cleaning and maintenance, you and your family will end up breathing it. You could even notice that it has a bad smell. This is more concerning than it appears, as it can have serious consequences for your respiratory system. Asthmatics must pay special attention to the quality of the air they breathe, so keep an eye on the air conditioning.
– Increase the lifespan of your unit: The risk of your equipment failing greatly decreases if you carry out regular service. This ensures that it operates at peak efficiency and reduces wear, allowing you to use it for many more years.
– Reduce the risk of breakage: You can anticipate incidents by cleaning your air conditioning on a regular basis. You can also spot frayed wires, cracks, and other signs of deterioration that can be easily repaired before they become a major issue.
– Minimise your environmental impact: You can help the environment by keeping your air conditioning system clean and reducing energy use. When you use less power, you assist the environment by lowering the amount of polluting gases released during the production of electricity.
#2. The frequency of servicing your Air Conditioner
Because irregular usage for three months a year is not the same as regular use, there is no set servicing frequency. As a general rule, having your air conditioner serviced by a professional at least once a year is recommended for the units at our homes.
If the unit contains a heat pump, the service should be done twice a year, first when the cold season begins and again when summer arrives. It is also advised that the device is serviced at least twice a year if it is used for commercial premises.
If your ac is between 8-12 years old, we also recommend servicing it twice a year. If your device is only a few years old, an annual service may be sufficient.
It is like your car service: in order to keep your car running smoothly, you need to maintain it regularly, and the same logic applies to your air conditioner.
#3. The most common problems that can be solved
Sometimes you’ll notice that your air conditioner isn’t working as it should, and you’ll assume it’s because it’s broken. However, this isn’t always the case, and it may be due to a variety of factors.
Some of the issues that can be resolved by having your air conditioner serviced are:
Air conditioner smelling bad
Bad odours are produced by clogged filters, trapped water, or mould. Air conditioning filters are intended to collect dirt and dust. That filth and dust can cause a slew of other issues, including the failure of your air conditioner. It may result in deformed or missing filters.
Air conditioner not cooling
If your air conditioner is not cooling even if your thermostat is properly set it might be because of these two reasons:
1. You may have dirty or clogged filters or condensers.
Solution: Get your air conditioner professionally cleaned.
2. You may have a problem with your compressor or refrigerant.
Solution: Contact an air conditioner technician.
Air conditioner not heating
Clogged coils and filters are a problem that can cause a variety of issues, including no heating. When these are clogged, the compressor and other elements of the system might fail prematurely, causing the air conditioner to cease heating.
Air conditioner making weird noises
If you hear strange noises coming out from your air conditioner, it is quite probable that it is damaged. The most common causes are loose parts, missing or damaged isolation feet, refrigerant leakage, or a faulty compressor.
Air conditioner leaking water
If your air conditioner is leaking inside your home, the most likely cause is a clogged condensate drain line. Water cannot escape and drain to the outside if your condensate drain line gets blocked. The pipe becomes clogged, allowing moisture to return inside and spill water into your house.
#4. How the service should really be carried out
Regular basic maintenance, like filter cleaning, can be performed by yourself on a regular basis; however, we recommend having your air conditioner serviced by a professional at least once a year.
These services are necessary because they reach the most inaccessible sections of your air conditioner to ensure that there are no clogged drains, mouldy condensers, clogged filters, or other issues that might increase the risk of breakage and malfunctioning of your air conditioning unit.
If you want to learn how to do regular basic maintenance you can download a pdf guide that we have put together by clicking on this button:
Regular maintenance is essential for the proper operation of your air conditioner, and if you neglect it, your air conditioner may not work for long. You might end up with a clogged drain and filters and an inefficient system. Regular maintenance is the key to keep your unit in order and in good working condition.
Our company is dedicated to making your life easier – if you need help with your air conditioner, Tenmen is here and ready to assist you with any issues you may be experiencing. Our experienced team is confident in their ability to service your air conditioner or resolve any issues that may have arisen. Call us on 1300 099 778.