Why cheap solar panels may cost you more than you think
When you decide to buy a solar system, you’re most likely doing it because you think it’ll be a good investment. Are you sure you want to go with cheap solar panels because it seems like a good deal? What exactly does the “cheap” price tag reveal about these panels?
Many times the cheapest choice of many products can imply lower quality, inferior materials, and many more problems in the future. This is particularly true for products as delicate as solar panels and other solar system components.
Continue reading to understand why cheap solar energy may end up costing you more money than you think.
Most Common Material Quality Problems
Even though choosing high-quality solar panels will increase the price of your installation, it will also increase your profitability due to its warranties and efficiency. Purchasing high-quality solar panels prevents unexpected costs and ensures consistent output for a longer period of time.
On the other hand, when selecting low-quality panels, you may have to deal with a few issues and face some consequences. The most common issues related to low-end solar panels are:
– Hot spots: the so-called “hot spots” are common enemies of solar panels. These points influence specific parts of the solar panel, causing them to reach high temperatures, which causes a direct negative impact on efficiency and power generation, and a significant rise in the degradation of the solar panel. Hot spots are also unstable and they will intensify until all of the solar panel’s efficiency is lost, meaning that you will have to renew your system before you had planned. They occur as a result of low-quality materials and poor manufacturing processes used in the production of the solar panel.
– Defective welds: the welds on solar panels may be poorly made due to lack of tin or due to higher temperatures required during the manufacturing process. Defective welds can cause hot spots, which at this point you are already familiar with and know how bad they are for your solar system.
– Cell delamination: poor lamination process during the manufacturing of solar panels can cause delamination of the cells integrated into the solar panel. It is a fairly common failure in some photovoltaic panels of medium/low quality. When trying to shorten the time required to create this laminate, quality is sacrificed, making the solar panels inefficient.
– Destruction of the Tedlar: because of the poor quality of many manufacturers, degradation and deterioration of the Tedlar (the back of the solar panel) is common, and can lead to the appearance of hot spots or even make the panel obsolete straight away.
– EVA yellowing: this is another very common case in cheap panels. The EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate) utilised in these cases is of very low quality, and it degrades with time, resulting in a significant loss of efficiency and, consequently, lower energy production.
Beware Of Hidden Costs: Things To Keep In Mind
You have to know that the investment you make when getting a solar system will be repaid by reducing your electricity bill. In addition, with bi-directional meters, you will have the ability to return unused energy and “resell” it to the grid All benefits! That is why it is pointless to look for the cheapest device on the market if it will not provide you with the performance and advantages that make the investment worthwhile.
Remember that by solar installation, you are also increasing the value of your property by making it more efficient, which can make it more appealing when selling or renting.
Bad panels can be dangerous
Cheap solar panels will cause more troubles in the long term and l you might end up having to invest even more money in order to repair or replace them.
Also, it is extremely important to be aware that if you decide not to fix or replace faulty panels to save money, they can become a threat to your house and the safety of your family, f as they can cause catastrophic breakdowns and even fires.
Solar panels are not exactly one of the purchases to look at for savings. It may be more interesting to carry out a thorough search and investigation of the greatest brands on the market and look for the best value for money.
There are many manufacturers in the industry that produce high-quality solar panels; all you have to do is seek the one that best fits your solar project and your budget.
We always distrust those cheap solar panels that claim to be quality products, since the vast majority are not. And for that reason in TENMEN, we only work with leading brands to provide our customers with the best quality products and outcomes.
Visit our blog for in-depth analyses of the best solar panel models on the market, the greatest options, the best sales, the best quality, and much more. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time and we will be happy to assist you.